4 Simple Steps to Having a Great Day
It’s very easy to get caught up in the negativity of people around us, but if we can implement these four little steps, we’ll find ourselves having a great day that will rub off on those around us!
Try these techniques to bring you joy throughout your day:
- Wake up with a smile on your face. How many of us wake up and groan at the thought of the day ahead? Tomorrow morning try doing something a little different.
- Set the alarm five minutes earlier than normal.
- As you wake up, luxuriate in the warmth and softness of your bed.
- Smile to yourself to set your inner mood.
- Before you get out of bed, think of five things you’re grateful for.
- And think to yourself: tomorrow is going to be a great day!
- Treat your chores as opportunities. If your day seems to be an endless round of cleaning, cooking, shopping, and picking up the kids after school, escape the perceived drudgery and take advantage of the opportunity each one of these chores can give you.
- When you’re cleaning the house, play some loud party music and dance as you go―you’ll get more exercise and have some fun while cleaning!
- Ask the kids to help you prepare meals. You’ll enjoy quality time with them and teach them something at the same time!
- When you’re shopping, have a friendly smile on your face. Avoid rushing around and take the time to thank the checkout operator for her time―she likes to feel appreciated too.
- Talk with your kids. When you pick up your kids from school, ask them about their day. They’ll have so much to share with you if you give them a little time to do it. And listen to their answers―they know when you’re not paying attention.
- Notice that you’re having a great day!
- Use that internal STOP sign. Anytime you feel yourself getting upset, anxious, or angry with people as you go through your day, flash a bright red or purple stop sign in your head. Take a deep breath, center yourself, and then carry on with your conversation. You’ll feel a lot less agitated and both parties will benefit. Remind yourself that you ARE having a great day!
- Be nice. This last step is so simple, yet so many people are just too busy to put it into place. Being nice is as easy as smiling at the cabbie or the bus driver in the morning, saying “hello” to the person you buy your coffee from, or using the words “thank you” at least a half a dozen times a day.
- If you take action to be nice, friendly, and caring, then your day will be so much better than if you run around feeling sorry for yourself, angry or upset.
None of these tips cost us anything in terms of money or time. It’s easier on our face if we smile rather than frown; it’s easier to get through a day feeling contented and happy. And if we share our happy mood, just imagine what a wonderful gift that can be for those around us!
It has been said that, “Being happy doesn’t mean that everything is perfect. It means that you’ve decided to look beyond the imperfections.” If you start your day preparing to have a good one, your day will blossom just as you do. The bonus is that your smile will remind at least one person you come across in your day that they can take the time to smile too.