CREATING YOUR LIFE VISION
You’ve probably heard that you can only get where you want to be if you know where you’re going. This pithy statement is as true now as the first time it was said. So how do you come to know where you’re going, so you can get where you want to be?
To start with, goals are crucial. When we set goals, what we’re really trying to do is to bring each piece of our lives in line with our overall vision for ourselves. Using a powerful vision-setting process can help us set more effective goals, because we can then chart a course that will take us toward our vision.
Do you have a vision for each segment of your life? Do you know where you’re headed spiritually, socially, relationally, physically, financially, and more?
This process can help you create your vision plan!
- Write down your vision for a particular aspect of your life. Write a couple of paragraphs describing what you’d like to have or be. There’s no right or wrong. In fact, you probably won’t precisely articulate your dreams the very first time you try the exercise. A reasonable guess is a good place to start.
- In writing your vision, avoid focusing on what you don’t want, because this will only bring about more of that. Turn your back on negativity and focus on what you do want to manifest in your life.
- For example, if you want more money, avoid writing something like “I don’t want to be poor anymore.” Instead, envision what it would be like to have all your needs met, which is what you want, and write about what that would be like for you. FEEL how it would feel. Picture how your daily life would change. Feel the joy of getting up in the morning and knowing that you no longer have financial worries.
- Although you may feel challenged when first learning to focus on what you want (and not on what you DON’T WANT!), it gets easier. Plus, the rewards are spectacular when you do this consistently. You’ll start to notice that your life seems as if you can change it at will, which you can.
- Read your vision statement 2-3 times a day and imagine that aspect of your life. How does your vision make you feel? Are you really excited and enthusiastic? Is it appealing to you on all levels? Where do you feel the excitement in your body? Try to remember this feeling. This exercise shouldn’t take more than 60 seconds to do each time.
- If you feel really good about your vision, that’s great! If not, now is the time to make some alterations. Continue refining the image of your dream life until doing your visualization feels spectacular. Re-write each new version.
- At this point, you may be wondering when this process ever ends. Fortunately, it never ends. Your vision will forever be changing slightly throughout your life, which is good, since your desires will also change over time.
- Review your vision daily and ensure that it continues to attract you. This will rapidly usher change into your life. In turn, these changes will demonstrate that you’re actually moving towards that vision.
- Create separate vision statements for all the areas of your life. Consider your finances, relationships, adventure, health, social life, and spirituality. If you can get all these visions to look just the way you want, imagine what your life will look like!
Why Spend Time On This Process?
Consider all the things you do every day. Everything you do is either helping you reach your vision or bringing things into your life you don’t want. It’s obvious which you should choose, right?
Creating a vision is the first step to creating the life you desire. Tweak your visions a couple of times a day and really focus on the experience of living that vision. This gets easier all the time, because imagining something enjoyable is just plain FUN!
Start creating your visions today! You’ll be spending your time making your visions a reality!